Wednesday, October 23, 2019

The Freedom Trail

Wednesday was our last day in Boston and we had the entire day on our own, which we really enjoyed. We got a Freedom Trail walking guide and basically spent the entire day following that. I will let the pictures tell the story...

It won't be long...just 5 1/2 short years...before its time for Mackenzie's Senior trip to Boston...wow...that's hard to even imagine! It will be fun to come back here and learn even more history from a christian perspective on that trip. But man, time needs to SLOW DOWN!

I thought it was very cool that there was actually a brick trail that you followed all over the city, to tell you that you were still on the Freedom Trail. Felt a little like we were following the yellow brick road! =0)
This is kind of where you start, in the middle of Boston Common...
Park Street Church:
Granary Burying Grounds, where John Hancock is buried. These gravestones look like you could literally tap them and they would fall over. An interesting fact we learned is that they buried several people of the same family on top of one another. Also, these stones would have started out much taller, but over time they sink into the ground. At one point they also had trouble with flooding washing the bodies out of the graves. Yuck! 
This was where (I think) the people met the night before the Boston Tea Party took place. Such a neat building!
 I thought this staircase was the neatest! 
 This spot is where the Boston Massacre took place, out on the street.
I went into the Paul Revere house with Angela when we were exploring the city a few days before, so I decided to sit on a bench and wait while Brian went through it on this day. He took this picture of me from one of the windows inside the house. =0) 
The Paul Revere statue, in front of the Old North Church, where it is said that Paul Revere hung the lanterns in the steeple to alert the people that the British were coming. 
 Scenes from the movie National Treasure were filmed here.
The USS Constitution"Old Ironsides"
We climbed to the top of the Bunker Hill monument and I thought I was going to die right then and there...oh man! I think it was close to 300 steps or something...after walking so many miles the past week, I was SO tired! **Not to mention the fact that I was pregnant and didn't know it! Eek!!
We took an Uber back into the Beacon Hill area, which was miles from where we were at Bunker Hill...there was no other option at this point, unless Brian wanted to carry me! 
These cobblestone streets were so cool looking...

No comments:

Post a Comment