Thursday, December 20, 2012

Regent Christmas Celebration

Mackenzie had her Christmas Celebration at Regent this week. First, we went to a retirement home where the kids sang Christmas songs for the older people. It was so very, very sweet! They asked us not to take pictures or video, so we wouldn't distract from their little program. (That was very hard for me, but I played by the rules!) There was a designated photographer, so I was able to get some pictures from the school Shutterfly site. That made me very happy!
The night before, Mack got very upset because she didn't think she knew all of the words, but she did great. I don't think she ever missed a word, and she is so expressive when she sings. I am amazed at the way the kids memorized all 8 of those songs. After singing, the children shared cookies and hugs with the residents and visited with them for a few minutes before we headed back to the school. Then for their Christmas party, they made a craft, heard a story, received gifts from Mrs. Brenneman and had snacks. Mackenzie decided since her craft said, "Joy" on it, that she would give it to Madison because her middle name is Joy. So thoughtful! I was so thankful that Brian watched Madison and Jonah for me so that I could be with Mackenzie for this. I was a bit relieved when this was over, because it was our last "party," or "place to be" before Christmas. I was ready to just take a break from school and running all over the place and enjoy the holidays!
 
I have no idea what this serious face was about! 
 Mackenzie was very shy talking to the residents. I had to repeat most of what she said because she was talking so quietly and they couldn't hear her! It was very sweet watching all of the kids interact with the older people.. You could tell that they just loved it!
  This older gentleman was a mess! He reminded me so much of my Pop Shaw! He told us that he has 12 Christmas hats that he wears, and his walker had a sign on it that said, "Is it too late to be good?" He kept talking, and talking, and talking... =0)
 This was after the program, back at school for the party!
Mack loves the little angel that Mrs. Brenneman gave to her.
Yum, Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment