Friday, July 28, 2023

GoStudents Portugal

When Brian started pressing me about going to Portugal this summer, I was really resistant at first. To be quite honest, it was just way out of my comfort zone and it made me very nervous. I am so glad that Brian didn't give up & kept encouraging me to go. God really worked in my life in a big way and I came home different. I was reminded what it was like to actually be involved in ministry myself, instead of sitting in the background or on the sidelines. And what a special time this was with Mackenzie! I will always cherish these memories we made together in Portugal. I loved getting to spend so much time and help lead with Jamie. I haven't laughed so much in a very long time! 
Of course I took a lot of pictures and will have several posts, but this is what I posted on FB about our trip when we got back:

Sometimes when you step out of your comfort zone, and say "yes" to Jesus, he changes your heart.
So thankful for the opportunity to go to Portugal with Mackenzie, Jamie, and this awesome group of people. I could write a book about it, but I'm still too tired. (Time change is rough!) 
So I'll keep it simple...this week God drew me close & reminded me what it means to be a disciple. I've coasted along for a very long time, become too complacent, hiding in the shadows and God convicted my heart about that. I came home different, and I'm so thankful! Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from your presence, and take not your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit. Psalm 51:10-12. Kind of fell in love with Portugal and I'm already praying God would open doors to go back next year! 
Brian, usually its you telling me thank you for staying home to take care of the kids while you go, but this time the tables were turned. Thank you for gently pushing me to go on this trip, and for taking care of things at home while I was gone. It was time well spent! I love you and I'm thankful we get to serve the Lord together in life.
Jamie, you have been a spiritual mentor and a friend to me for over 25 years. We've experienced a lot of life and ministry together, and leading with you this week was so fun. I think I laughed until I cried every single day. Friends for life! 
Lastly, if you haven't been on an overseas mission trip, or if it's been 20 years since you last week on one, I would highly encourage you to go if God opens the door...it will change the way you look at life.

We left OKC on Friday around 12:00 from the Baptist building and drove to TX to fly out from DFW. We picked Brian up in Davis so he could drop us off and drive the van back. 
We were a team of 13, from churches all across Oklahoma. Other than spending a few hours together at the GoStudents training in April, many of us had never met each other before. 
What should have been less than a 24 hour trip to our final destination, turned into a 36+ hour ordeal with many obstacles. But we finally made it! We flew from Dallas to London, and then we had a long layover in London. When it was time to board our plane there, something was wrong with the plane and our flight was delayed over two hours. This caused us to get to land in Lisbon about the same time our plane was supposed to take off from there to Porto. Added to that, the customs line in Lisbon was an eternity long. When we finally got through that, we officially found out that our flight was cancelled. Not only that, they also cancelled our returning flight from Porto to Lisbon, and we lost all of our money. Unbelievable! Well...what do you do? Fernando to the rescue! He rented a couple of vans and drove 4 hours from Porto to Lisbon to get us in the middle of the night. To say we were tired is an understatement. We camped out at the Burger King in the airport until he got there around 1:00 AM. Then we loaded up and drove to Porto. We pulled into our hotel around 5:00 AM. I have never been so tired in my entire life! Looking back, I'm really not sure how I did that. I do remember going into a bathroom stall at one point and praying "God I can't do this. Please help me!" And I really believe he did!
Philippians 4:6-7 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your request be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
This was at the Baptist building when we loaded up. We picked up a few more along the way.
Pretty sure this picture set the tone for our entire trip!
Off we go!! 
How I love her! 
Mackenzie was still having some breathing/anxiety issues that made things a bit difficult for her on this trip, but I was so proud of her for pushing through it.
It was so much fun having Bo on the Portugal trip with us! Check out this pic of him and Mackenzie from Halloween at STBC back in the day. How cute are they! 
Complete cuteness! 
Up, Up and Away! 
Jamie makes everyone laugh, all the time! 
And this right here is why I didn't sleep at all on our overnight flight to London. My thumbs were literally sore when we got off the plane. 
She was so excited about getting hot tea on the airplane! 
I was so amused by the enthusiasm our kids had over this airplane food. Some of them acted like it was the best thing they'd ever tasted. Um. No.
Hello, again, London! I feel like I was just here...oh wait...I was! 
Mackenzie was still a little bitter that we went to London without her, but at least she got to visit the Harry Potter store in the London airport! 
Flight delayed...never good...
What are the chances of running into an old friend you haven't seen in 20+ years in the London airport, going to Portugal on the same flight as you?! Crazy! So good to see Holly! 
FINALLY LEAVING LONDON...
Flying into Lisbon was beautiful!
This was the customs line in Lisbon...we didn't know for sure what was going to happen with our flight situation at this point, so waiting in this forever long line was torture. 
Look how happy we are! 
This is where the group sat and waited while Jamie and I tried to get our flight situation worked out. They were completely unhelpful at the airline and left us with no plan. Fernando took such great care of us though, and was so kind to drive through the night to pick us up. 
We eventually made our way outside the airport to wait for Fernando. The kids had a great time playing this game & to this day it is one of Mackenzie's favorite memories of the entire trip. We were no longer strangers! 
FINALLY....after 36+ hours of traveling, we made it to our hotel room at 5:15 AM Sunday morning. To put that in simple terms, we left Oklahoma at noon on Friday & got to our final destination in Portugal at midnight Saturday, Oklahoma time. I have never been so happy to change out of the clothes I had been wearing for two days straight and climb into a comfortable bed! For an hour and a half...because we had to be up and ready to leave for church around 8:00. #sleepy
Once we got past that (little) travel speed bump, the rest of the trip was very smooth and wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment