Saturday, April 26, 2025

The Valley Forge Teacup Story

One of the last stops at Valley Forge is this field, where Mrs. Low teaches and tells the tea cup story. Basically, the idea of the story is that for the tea cup to be a beautiful masterpiece in the end, it started as a lump of clay--it had to be shaped and molded--it was sometimes a painful process--it had to go through the fire in the kiln--the teacup didn't understand why her owner let these painful things happen to her--but it took each of those steps to eventually make her into the beautiful teacup that she was meant to be. The story is much more eloquent and beautiful than that quick synopsis, but that is the basic message. The conditions at Valley Forge during the war, were absolutely awful--extreme cold, inadequate shelter, severe food shortages, unsanitary conditions, widespread disease--it was truly terrible. However, the army emerged stronger, more disciplined, and better trained due to the leadership of George Washington and Baron Von Stueben. (Okay--history lesson over!) 
The practical lesson for us, as parents, with kids entering this new chapter of life : 
"Parents, DO NOT rescue your children from hard things! They MUST be prepared for the battle! It is in the unpleasant, painful, mundaneness of the drill that they are developed into skillful, efficient, and successful vessels of honor."
What I wrote the first time I heard this talk with Mackenzie still remains so true..."as a Mom, I always want to "fix it," but this was such a strong reminder for me that it is so important for our kids to have "Valley Forge experiences" that are difficult, to teach them to grow stronger and learn how to navigate in this life." This has always been a hard concept for me, because I just want my kids to be happy...but I know that I can't protect them from the hard things in life, and I have to let them struggle sometimes. I just love them so much.
I could not control my tears here...I literally feel like it was yesterday, that I was standing in this exact spot, hearing this exact talk from Mrs. Low, with Mackenzie in 6th grade. And here we are, and she's about to graduate. I just stood there looking at Jonah, with tears streaming down my face, knowing how quickly the next 6 years will fly by with him too. I'm telling you, my heart was just nearly breaking! Why do they have to grow up?!
 At the exact moment this talk was happening, Mackenzie was in her audition at SNU for next year's musicals. She is paving her way in the world...it has not always been easy...but she's doing it and I am so proud of her! I hope I survive the next month of all these graduation activities. My tear ducts are in trouble!
Here is my FB post about this part of our day:
One of my favorite parts of the 6th grade trip with each of my kids has been the time we spend praying with them at the end of our Valley Forge day. I remember the first time I heard Mrs. Low’s teaching at this stop on Mackenzie’s trip in 6th grade so well..my first baby was leaving elementary and beginning a new chapter of life…and the idea of sending her to have “valley forge experiences” that are difficult, and having to take a step back was hard for this momma to grasp that day. (I’m telling you—the teacup story—I literally can’t handle it! iykyk … so, so good) A few years later, we got to have this same sweet time with Madi, and fast forward again and here I am with Jonah. (Thankful to have 7 or so years to recuperatete before it’s Jack’s turn, lol!)
With Mackenzie graduating in a few weeks, this all hit especially hard again today. It really is so true though—God uses the hard things in life to develop our character and to make us stronger and more dependent on Him. The theme of the day was “Providential Pruning-The Crucible of American Liberty” and it resonated with me in so many ways. It has been a year of pruning for our family, and let me just say—that is not always fun—in fact, it’s been downright painful. But God is so faithful and good….even when we are in the valley.
Okay that’s all…I’m tired & all cried out for the day! Thankful for this beautiful life I get to live with these people I love so much.
Literally feels like yesterday...

And again...feels like yesterday...

No comments:

Post a Comment