Tuesday, April 29, 2025

A Day of Museums

On Tuesday morning, the group started out at the Bible Museum. I decided that my body needed a little extra rest, so I skipped out on this part (since I've been there twice before). I met up with Brian and Jonah for lunch at McDonald's. Then we spent most of the day going to museums, just the three of us. We went to the Air & Space Museum, Natural History Museum, American History Museum, and the National Archives. We actually went to a few of those places twice, when we finally met up with friends later in the afternoon. Seeing the Declaration of Independence is cool and all, but my absolute favorite thing of the day was the OG Bert & Ernie from Sesame Street!! Lol! Not even kidding! Followed closely by Abraham Lincoln's actual hat. =0) (Okay, maybe I should reverse the order of those two rankings!) The Smithsonian's are amazing...there is so much to see, it's overwhelming. While I love these school trips, there is this constant feeling of wanting to be included in groups of friends. This was a bit of an issue on this day, but it was also just kind of nice to have a quieter afternoon on our own. Lots of walking! 
I was really glad Brian was there to go with Jonah to the Bible Museum, so I could sleep a little longer and let my body recover from the day before.
Recap video 3:
A few pics from the Museum of the Bible:
This is a picture of the inside of our Embassy Suites hotel in Georgetown. The breakfast was a-mazing!
The view from the window in our room. 
National Air & Space Museum
Missing our sweet kids back home! 
National Museum of Natural History 
Charles Darwin, "Making Jesus Known." 
National Museum of American History 
(I have no idea why they are looking at me like this...lol!)
This is my favorite Smithsonian, so I don't know what their problem is! =0)
Let it be known--this is the most patriotic thing Jonah saw in Washington DC on this day. 
Hahaha! Love it!
My childhood...
Mr. Rogers shoes were neat to see too! 
President Lincoln's china dishes.
=0)
This was amazing--it looks like wood.
For some reason, Jonah took his backpack with him this morning...and had to carry it around all day long. 
I like that for something patriotic that he saw, Jonah said "Captain America's shield." LOL 
Well...he's not wrong! But I think maybe there were a...few...other patriotic things in Washington DC?! 

I thought his answer for Something I wish I could see in a Museum..."the real cross that Jesus died on" was a very meaningful, thought-out answer. 
National Archives (Round One)
This rotunda is just beautiful!
Had to take a picture with a rolled up Declaration of Independence in the gift shop at the National Archives. We actually went back to our hotel pretty early and watched National Treasure on this evening, which was kind of fun.
After that, we made our way back to the Natural History Museum to meet up with friends for a little bit.
And then back to the National Archives with friends...(soooo much walking)
Jonah and Isaiah were pretty much done at this point...
Talk to me, Goose!
Jonah didn't always love my picture taking--I really did try to not annoy him too much. 
Each evening, Jonah wrote in his trip journal. The kids are graded on these when they return to school. It was another very full, very productive day on the 6th grade Government trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment