Friday, April 25, 2025

Philly Day One

The group flew in Friday morning and we met them at the airport 11:00, then we loaded the buses and headed straight to Reading Market. Jonah was so excited to see his friends! The order of this trip is opposite of what I am used to--with the girls, we started out in Williamsburg, then went to DC, and then we ended the trip in Philadelphia. This time, we started out in Philadelphia, and then went to DC on the back end. They don't do Williamsburg anymore, which makes me super sad...I loved that part of the trip with the girls. Now that I've experienced it both ways, I think I still prefer to do DC first, and then Philadelphia. But, that being said, we did have more time in Philadelphia doing it this way, which I did really enjoy. 
We ate philly cheesesteaks (Jonah's review - "it was okay") and got Amish donuts at Reading Market. While that is a cool place to visit, it is always PACKED to the point of barely being able to move, and it's a complete sensory overload. After lunch, we walked to Independence Hall for our tour, and then the kids did their recitation of the Preamble out front. Then we had some free time before loading the buses for the hotel, so we saw the Liberty Bell. I was so tired and ready for some down-time, but Jonah's group of buddies was going to a Hibachi restaurant and I didn't want him to miss out. So off we went, and I'm so glad we did! This was Jonah's first Hibachi experience (and a few of the other boys as well) and I know it's something the boys will always remember about their 6th grade trip. Looking at these hibachi pictures, I keep thinking... "if I would have just not taken my leftovers with me..." (More about that later, but I had a rough time a few days later because of those leftovers.)
Overall, it was a great first day of touring in Philadelphia!
Yeah--no thanks on the 5:30 AM departure and then touring all day...I was SO GLAD we flew in a day early! 
We took the hotel shuttle back to the airport to wait for everyone. 
Love these sweet friends!
I mean--these donuts are just okay, in my opinion--but when you're at Reading Market, it's just necessary to get some! 
One Philly Cheesesteak, minus the cheese, please! =0))) 
Let the walking begin...
Independence Hall
One of these things is not like the other ones... Hahaha!! 
We stayed at the Embassy Suites and it was very nice. (Minus the fact that the door to our room was left open by the housekeepers both days we were there...) 
Really thankful for this group of friends Jonah has! Praying as they move into Secondary that they stay close friends.
The boys thought this was hilarious, of course! =0) I've never seen this before, but apparently it's a thing at most Hibachi places?!






 

No comments:

Post a Comment