Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Valley Forge

Wednesday, our last tour day, was "The Crucible of Liberty...Philadelphia or Valley Forge?" 
We got to see George Washington's quarters there and the battlefields where the soldiers trained. Mrs.  Low shared some powerful words with the parents about letting our kids experience the hard times, instead of rescuing from them. "Parents! DO NOT rescue your children from hard things! They MUST be prepared for the battle! It is in the unpleasant, painful, mundaneness of the DRILL that they are developed into a skillful, efficient and successful vessel of honor!"As a mom, I always want to "fix it," but this was such a strong reminder for me that it is so important for our kids to have "valley forge experiences" that are difficult, to teach them to grow stronger and learn how to navigate in this life. 
We ended our tour of Valley Forge at the Memorial Arch, where we had a quiet time of commissioning and prayer over our kids. It was almost like a rite of passage, as they transition from elementary to middle school. I really tried to hold back my tears, but I just couldn't. I'm pretty sure Mackenzie was thinking I was crazy! The reality that she is growing up so fast just hit me like a ton of bricks. We were the very last ones to get back on the bus, because I was having trouble composing myself! 
We stopped at the mall to eat lunch and I let Mackenzie get her nails painted for our fancy dinner at Maggiano's that evening.

Ready to go!
I love being her mom!
Breakfast at our hotel...
I NEEDED this sweatshirt...forget how much it cost...I can wear it again when I come with Madison in a few years, so that should justify half of it, right?!
There were so many gnats flying around us right here! 
This is where Mackenzie and I sat and had our little time of reflection and prayer. 
Yes, I was crying, but I still wanted a picture to remember the moment by!
I'm with Mickey...
Saw this in a Hallmark store in the mall at lunch & I was definitely feeling it after the morning we just had!
Getting all fancy for dinner at Maggianos!

No comments:

Post a Comment