Sunday, February 28, 2016

"Behold, I Am Doing A New Thing!"

Today was the day we told our church family that Brian would be resigning and taking a position with the BGCO. I walked into the building at 8:15 crying, and I walked out at 12:15 still crying. I didn't know I could cry so many tears! What an emotional weekend it has been...from telling the kids Friday evening, to telling the church on Sunday...I am completely spent. But also relieved to have it out there. Now its time to face the facts! Here is the FB post I did after church today...

What a bittersweet day...my heart is breaking, yet I am excited about the future that God has for our family. 
This morning, Brian resigned as the Youth Pastor of South Tulsa Baptist Church. We have been there for 9 years & have invested our whole lives here. We have so many dear friendships...we have loved deeply. We have celebrated the births of our babies, wept through losses in life, watched our children grow, and to put it simply, we have just loved doing life with the wonderful family we have at STBC. I honestly can't imagine life any other way...to say there will be a huge void is an understatement.

But...God has made it abundantly clear that it is His will for us to make this move to OKC, where Brian will be the Youth Evangelism & Missions Specialist for the Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma. This is not something that we were pursuing, but God opened the door and we are obediently stepping through it. 

The selfish side of me has wanted to say "No, God...I don't want to do this. We just built a beautiful home a year ago, our kids are thriving in their school, how can we leave our friends, we love our church, we are comfortable, this is HOME....no...just no! The sacrifice is too great!" But then, when I stop and think about the sacrifice Jesus made for me and for you, on the cross...it is incomparable...so, "Yes, Lord...I choose to willingly follow you, even when it hurts."

I would ask that you pray for our family over the next several months, as this transition happens for us. Brian's last Sunday at STBC will be March 20th, and then he will begin commuting back and forth to OKC until the end of the school year. Our kids just found out about all of this a few days ago. Honestly, telling them about this was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do as a mother. They are troopers though, and I know that God has a perfect plan for each of their little lives. Somehow He will meet every need along the way. 

There are so many scriptures that have helped me through this time...here are a few I have clung to....

Isaiah 41:10 "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
 
Isaiah 43:19 "Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert." 
 Isaiah 55:8-9 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."

At probably my lowest point through this journey, I turned my radio on (which I never listen to) and the Casting Crowns song "Just Be Held" came on the radio...it was as if God was audibly speaking these words to me. 
Specifically the lines 
"Your world's not falling apart, it's falling into place" and "Not a tear is wasted, in time you'll understand. I'm painting beauty from the ashes, Your life is in my hands."

We aren't promised that this life will be easy. In fact, the past 6 months have been HARD...going through the beginning phases of a surprise pregnancy & losing the baby, and then being faced with this huge life change has definitely challenged my faith. But, God is faithful and I will come out stronger because of it. In my weakness, He is my strength.

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say
It is well, it is well with my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment