Friday, March 14, 2014

Colonial Day

At Regent, Class 1 gets to have Colonial Day, which is so much fun and an awesome learning experience too! First, they do a program where every child has a speaking part. Mackenzie's line was: "After living in Holland for 11 years, these pilgrims began to dream of owning their own farms where their children could work in the open air as they had in England." She got a little twisted up at the end, but she said her line so clearly and we were so proud of her! One of the classes sang "Billy Boy," which Mackenzie thought was just the funniest thing ever. Grandma Baldwin made this beautiful dress, apron and bonnet for Mackenzie. She is incredible and we were so glad she could be there to watch Mackenzie's program. After the program, Jonah and Madison went with Grandma Baldwin and Brian and I stayed for the rest of Colonial Day. All of the mom's volunteer to help in some way, and I was designated to be in charge of quilt squares. I didn't think that would be too big of a deal, but cutting out 420 pieces of fabric was a LOT of work! I was just thrilled about dressing up...Debbie Steen loaned me some things and we found this dress in the costume room at church. The kids got to do many stations, learning about things in Colonial days. Such as: quilt squares, rag dolls, pomander balls, candle making, jam making, silhouettes, story time, games and more. At the end of the day, we had lunch in tin plates like they did back then. The children also had to stand behind their chairs silently for 5 minutes before they could eat, while the adults ate, because apparently that's how they used to do it. I think it was more like 3 minutes, but I thought that was quite funny! This was a super fun way to end the week and get ready for Spring Break! But it was SO much work and I have to admit that I was somewhat relieved when it was done.
Here is Mrs. Holden with her little colonists!
We couldn't leave anyone out...
...not even Pony!
It was a very early morning! We got there early and ended up sitting right on the front row.
Waiting for her turn...I know she was a little bit nervous, but she sure didn't show it.
Mackenzie's class also did a little dance. She was disappointed because she didn't get to dance with one of the boys. (There are only 4 boys and 9 girls in their class.)
And here's what we looked like...haha! I don't know who took this picture, but I found it on the school Shutterfly site and thought it was funny!
It won't be long and it will be Madi's turn!
Thankfully Jonah was able to stay in childcare during the program!
Christian is quite the ladies man!
Here is the whole 1st grade class.
Mackenzie & Natalie L.
The kids carried baskets around to collect all of the cool thing they made.
Mackenzie named her rag doll "Sidney."
Since I was working the quilt square station, Daddy went around to all of the other stations with Mack.
They learned to play some games like children used to play in Colonial days.
Aren't we adorable?!
We were trying to take "old-fashion" face pictures! Hahaha! I'm sure people were watching us do this and laughing at us! We look kind of mean.
Brian totally did not dress the part! And he was hobbling around on crutches because this was the same week he hurt his ankle.
Pomander balls
Learning how to make jam...
Candle making...

No comments:

Post a Comment