Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Learning to Swim!

I have never been more proud of my girls! They were so brave and did so good at swim lessons! On the 3rd day of swim lessons, they went off the diving board for the first time. Thankfully, Daddy was there to walk out and help them. (I was VERY glad he was there...I would not have wanted to walk out there!) They both clung onto him and cried, and he had to practically throw them in the first day, but every day they got a little braver. I'll never forget Madison up on the diving board looking over at me and crying while saying, "Mommy, I need a hug!" About 3 seconds later, Brian dropped her off the diving board. It is so hard to make them do something that is so scary, but we are doing it because we love them and it is important for them to learn to swim! G-Ma got to come for 3 days of swim lessons the first week. I am still completely amazed at how much progress they made over two weeks. They learned to do the underwater swim, free-style swim, superman, how to float on their back, how to go in head first, jumping off the diving board...so good for them! By the end of the second week, they went off the high dive. Again, Brian went up with them and they were definitely terrified, but THEY DID IT! The next day (the last day of swim lessons) when it was time to do the high dive, neither of them wanted to do it at all but we made them anyway. I think it was scarier because they knew what to expect! Every time we drive by the towers by ORU, the girls talk about swim lessons. We will definitely be doing it again next year! Here are some pic's I took during the two weeks of swim lessons. (I have several video's that I will try to upload later.)
They were very timid at first, but they had to get used to putting their heads under water very quickly! Like in the first 2 minutes of the first day!









Part of the fan club! It was hot and humid in there!
I'm pretty sure this was Mackenzie's first jump off the diving board. She didn't want to go up there at first, but I'm pretty sure she jumped off by herself.


Madison always went off the diving board before Mackenzie. Mack was always the last one to do it!
Here is Madison's first jump! It's so sad how she keeps turning to Daddy and saying, "I need to give you a hug." Poor girl...we were SO proud of her!



By the end of the swimming lessons, the diving board was not nearly as scary!
Madison wanted Pony to watch her at swimming lessons one day. Daddy made sure Pony paid attention!

Time for the high dive...she was all smiles on the way up, but when she got up there she got scared when she realized how high it was!
I think I was just as nervous as they were!
Madi's 1st high dive...

Day 2 of high dive for Madison. Again, probably not the best ending to two weeks of swim lessons.

Mackenzie's turn...there were many tears, and I seriously thought Brian was going to have to jump in with her at one point. He would pry one arm off of his legs and she would latch the other one on. It was very sad, but she was proud of herself for doing it once it was done! I'm sure it hurt a little when she hit the water, because she nearly did a belly flop. 
He had to basically scoot her all the way to the end....she was putting the brakes on big time!
The resolution on this video is not good at all, but this was Mack's first high dive, from Connie's phone.

This was high dive day 2...she didn't want to do it at all. We probably shouldn't have made her, but I think she was proud of herself when it was done.
YEA!!! Glad they were smiling and giving thumbs up when it was over! I was completely mentally and emotionally exhausted by the time it was over!
Last day of swim lessons was on 4th of July! Mackenzie insisted on wearing this "swimsuit" that is actually a gymnastics leotard that is about two sizes too small for her. I didn't think it was a battle worth fighting, so I just let her wear it!
Breanna was the girls' teacher. She was wonderful with them! Firm, but very encouraging.

No comments:

Post a Comment