As I lay here at 5:30 this morning on a pallet in the floor beside my bed, because my children.have totally invaded my space and kicked me out, I am reminded of God's love and patience with us, his children. At 4:30 am, Mackenzie showed up by my bed wanting me to get her a pillow and blanket so she could sleep on a pallet beside me. She was coughing and cold and kept wanting to hold onto my pinky finger. About the time I had relaxed, Jonah started fussing and wanted to eat at 5:00. After eating he was wide awake, and continued spitting up over and over. In the meantime, here came Madison. No pillow, crawling into our bed. Here's the deal...I don't mind if the girls come into our room at night, but they need to bring a pillow and blanket with them. (Did I mention I just started doing Crossfit workout program and am extremely sore and tired?!) Oh, Lord help me to be patient! Sometimes I feel like I am going to lose it. I love my children to death, but to say that I am "exasperated" at times is an understatement. But then I stop and think about how God must feel about me..."why won't she just obey?" "why do I have to continue reminding her?" "why doesn't she honor me?" "why can't she just do what I ask of her the first time?" "why doesn't she spend time with me?" "doesn't she know that I love her and have given so much for her?" And I am silent. How does God deal with me when I fall short? With love and patience. On my own, I can't love my children with the love and patience that comes only from the Father.
So my prayer and the scripture I am clinging to today is this:
Philippians 2:5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus...
and
Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control.
Lord, may it be so! Please help me to be like you. To love like you love. And to respond with the attributes of the fruit of the spirit. Forgive me when I don't obey you, and really just forget to make you a part of my every day life. Thank you for your never ending love for me, and for not giving up on me when I fall so short. Help me to love my children like You love me.
How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure
How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One,
Bring many sons to glory
Behold the Man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice,
Call out among the scoffers
It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished
I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection
Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure
How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One,
Bring many sons to glory
Behold the Man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice,
Call out among the scoffers
It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished
I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection
Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom

No comments:
Post a Comment