Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Happy Birthday, Pa!


My Dad would have been 51 years old today. It is still so hard to believe he isn't here anymore...it seems like he should be coming back from a long trip or something...I'm glad for his sake, that's not the case...and sad for us that it's not the case. I still think about him constantly, and I just can't bring myself to take his contact "Dad Cell" out of my phone, even though it is disconnected and I know I can't call him anymore. And then I think, "Why didn't I call him more often, when I had the chance?" So, if you're reading this, take a minute & call someone you love, just to say hi & let them know you love them.
The girls and I were laying in Pa & G-Ma's bed when we woke up & I said, "We should sing Happy Birthday, because today was Pa's Birthday & this year he is celebrating in heaven, with Jesus." They liked that idea, and very sweetly sang "Happy Birthday" to Pa, while I tried with everything in me not to burst into tears. When the song ended, Mackenzie said, "Mommy, can Pa hear us in heaven?" I just told her that I wasn't sure, but that I bet if he could, he would be so happy that she was singing Happy Birthday to him. These pictures are from his 50th Birthday, last year. He looks so healthy & happy in them. I am very thankful that we got to have basically 2 years with him after he was first diagnosed with cancer. Was it enough? No, I don't think it could ever be enough...but, I am glad we have so many happy memories to look back on and smile about. I know that his 50th Birthday was special for him, but I know it didn't even hold a candle to what he must be experiencing in heaven this year.
I love this smile on his face!
Such a sweet, special moment in time!

No comments:

Post a Comment