Tuesday, September 13, 2022

New Orleans

It's always a treat to get away with Brian for a few days! This time we were off to New Orleans for the state convention leaders conference that happens every year. We stayed at the seminary this time, so it wasn't exactly luxurious, but I still loved being there with Brian. Our time in New Orleans started out very frustrating, when the airport didn't have the rental car that Brian had reserved and paid in advance for. There was actually not a single car to be rented, so we had to uber to the seminary, without a rental car. There were enough cars in the group that we ended up just riding with other people the whole time. I joined up with Brian and the group for mealtimes. I discovered that I'm not really a fan of Cajun food, but give me all the beignets! Todd and Angela weren't able to go at the last minute, so we missed spending time with them. I did enjoy just hanging out in the room, working on Jack's stocking and watching Netflix though! One thing I will always remember about this trip was tripping on a speed bump and taking a chunk out of my big toe. OUCH! I pretty much limped everywhere we went & it was very painful. =0( We got to see our friend and former Idabel student, Rachel Denison and her 4 beautiful children while we were there, so that was very special. On our last day in NOLA, Brian and I went to the WWII Museum before it was time to head to the airport. I am always so thankful for my Mom & Rex and Poppa & Louise, who make it possible for me to sneak away for a few days, for a much needed break!
I had a long ways to go at this point! 
Shrimp Po' Boy & Red Beans and Rice...just okay.
We didn't have a car, but one of the other state guys was kind enough to drive us to Cafe Du Monde after dinner so we could get beignets! So so good! 
This is how they were served to us...I was absolutely baffled that there were shakers of powered sugar on the tables, in case this wasn't enough! What even?!
We got to see Rachel and her beautiful babies on Thursday morning! She has got her hands FULL! Her husband is finishing up his seminary degrees in NOLA.
Lunch in the French Quarter.
My chicken looked like a heart...that required a picture!
I have no idea what this building is, but its pretty...
One last dinner with the group...at a hot dog place. I'm not a hot dog fan, but I loved the outside patio area!
Great group of ministry leaders from across the country!
On Friday we went to the WWII Museum before flying home. It was humbling & so educational. We were sitting outside the museum waiting for it to open, and this lady came up to Brian and asked if he was from Oklahoma. She recognized him from Falls Creek. =0) Guess that's the "Falls Creek Famous" thing we joke about! She was with her mother, visiting the museum for the first time. Their grandfather/father was in WWII and he was featured in the museum. We ran into them again near his exhibit, and they got to show it to us. It was very special to hear about their personal story...just a neat and unexpected encounter with fellow Oklahomans.
We had to make one last stop at Cafe Du Monde in the airport!

No comments:

Post a Comment