Wednesday, June 12, 2019

The Dreaded Swim Lessons

Swim lessons always cause so much anxiety, anguish & anticipation...that was especially true for Jonah this year. For weeks, ever since he found out he was going to have to take swim lessons, he has asked nearly daily how long until swim lessons start. It was pretty much torture taking him there every day. It's one of those things you do for your kids because you love them, but it is painful. He would look at me with these sad little eyes, pleading with me to rescue him, and I couldn't do anything but smile at him and encourage him that he could do it. There were many tears on day one...and they were the most heartbreaking kind...he was trying to hold it in and be brave, but he was scared. I feel bad for not doing swim lessons with him the past few summers, but its just very difficult to fit it in. I decided to go ahead and do at least one week of swim lessons at ORU while we were in Tulsa for SMAK. Jonah's swim teacher ended up being Denise, the "swim nazi," who is in charge of the whole program. I was so glad...she really worked with Jonah and he came a long way by the end of the week!

The diving board is always a huge obstacle...but I was so proud of Jonah for walking right out onto the board on the second day and jumping right off! He did the low dive for three days, and then on Friday his teacher made them do the high dive. I thought it was going to be an optional thing, but she made them do it. I was a nervous wreck as my baby climbed all the way up there...and I was SO PROUD of him for walking out on that high dive, waiting for the teacher to say "go" and jumping right off! I told him before swim lessons that day if he did the high dive, I would take him to the store and buy him a toy. I really don't think he would have done it, had the teacher not insisted, but you better believe he got a toy out of the deal! =0) He was so, so proud and excited to tell the girls that he went off the high dive! 
I don't think we have mastered swimming just yet, but I feel much more confident about Jonah's swimming skills. I wish he could do the second week of lessons, but it just doesn't work with our schedule, and obviously we don't live in Tulsa anymore. I think Jonah would definitely say one week of swim lessons was plenty! 

Day ONE:
Oh sweet boy! This picture makes Mommy sad! Trying to smile instead of cry.
"Mommy stop taking pictures of me..."
His little heart was beating out of his chest as we waited for the first swim lesson to begin.
This really got me...
#thosesadeyes
Starting to realize maybe its not THAT bad...
Is that a little smile I see?!
Day TWO:
Tears again...
I was near tears too...
Jonah did not like putting his head under water, and Denise was having none of that. She would push his little body all the way to the bottom of the pool. It was hard for this Momma to watch, but I know she was just teaching him. 
First time off diving board! He did great!!
Day THREE:
Day FOUR:
Look at that! Two thumbs up after the 4th day of swim lessons! We've come a long way! (And we're happy that there's only one day left!)
Day FIVE:
No PreSmak today, so we hit the donut shop before swim lessons! Jonah actually did two swim lessons on this day! During the first one, he went off the high dive! SO. PROUD!!
Can't believe Jonah did the high dive!! Woohoooo!! So proud!
I think I was just about as nervous as he was! Look at that little baby up there! 
These goggles!! Haha!! 
We got to have lunch with Aunt Barbara and then she came to swim lessons on Friday! 
Jonah picked out this puppy at Walgreens for his "high dive reward!"

No comments:

Post a Comment