Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Mackenzie's Struggle

While Portugal was wonderful and I loved it, I wish things would have been better for Mackenzie physically. She was really still struggling with breathing issues and her chest hurting. This all began happening during the first week of July, and was an ongoing problem throughout the rest of the summer. I think just not knowing what was wrong was causing her anxiety, which made things worse. I did bring along some medicine to help her with the anxiety issues, which helped a little bit at least. And I prayed for her a lot! She had a great time, but I could tell that she just didn't feel well much of the time. She wasn't her outgoing, bubbly self, quite as much as normal. Anytime something is off with any of my kids, it causes me to worry. I think any mother would say that, right? But I especially don't like the idea of chest pains and breathing issues. After we got back from Portugal, we saw a pulmonologist and eventually a cardiologist, just to make sure there wasn't something serious happening. Her oxygen levels are on the low end of normal, but they are high enough to rule out an asthma issue. The heart tests they ran came back normal too, which I am so thankful for. The cardiologist told us that it sounds like Mackenzie has something called Precardial Catch Syndrome. Basically, Mackenzie's brain thinks it is going to hurt when she takes too deep of breaths, so she doesn't breathe in deep enough, which makes her feel like she's not getting enough oxygen. There's always the chance too, that this is entirely an anxiety issue. We just want to make sure we do our due diligence to rule anything potentially serious out before we determine that. 
Mackenzie,
I am so very proud of you.
I watched you overcome some hard moments on this trip & push through even when it was difficult and you didn't feel well. Most people didn't even know the struggles you were dealing with. I have never been more proud than when you shared your testimony, at a time when you felt horrible and you were near a full blown panic attack. You didn't let your physical difficulties in that moment stop you from sharing your story and the Gospel with the kids at the orphanage.
I loved watching God work in your life this week in Portugal, and I already can't wait to hopefully go again with you next summer! I am praying and trusting that all of these health issues will be long gone far before then.
I love you & I will always cherish the memories & this time we spent together.
~ Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment