Monday, April 17, 2017

Superhero Stitches

Oh, just looking at these pictures makes me so sad. I guess I have always known the day might come when one of our kids would need stitches, but its not something you're ever really ready for. Well, I was getting ready Monday morning and Jonah was watching tv in the living room when I heard him wailing. I instantly ran in to find blood gushing down his forehead. He was doing "superhero moves" off the couch and his forehead collided with the corner of our brick fireplace. Bad news. I could tell that it wasn't a huge gash, but it was definitely bigger than anything we had ever dealt with before. And I was scared about how hard he hit and if he might have a concussion. It's amazing how scary life can get in a matter of just a few seconds. I loaded him up and took him to the closest urgent care, where they took a look at it, wrapped it and sent us on to the ER, because they weren't equipped to deal with head injuries there. I was pretty shaken up, so Brian met us at the emergency room. When I ran out of the house with Jonah, he was still in his pj's, so Daddy ran home to get him some pants and his pal, Lucky. After waiting for what seemed like forever, they finally got to him and he needed ONE stitch. Oh, my! I couldn't help but wonder if only one stitch was even worth it, but they assured us that he needed it. Daddy had picked the girls up from school by this time, and they stood out in the hall because they didn't want to see him get upset. He was such a brave boy...he was so scared, but we made it through it and the popsicle at the end put a smile back on his face. There is nothing in the world worse than watching your kids hurt and not being able to fix it. I am just so very thankful that it wasn't any worse than this. Jonah learned a valuable lesson that even Superheros have to be careful, because they can get hurt too. Hopefully this is our last ER trip for a very, very long time.
There's that smile that I love! I couldn't help but think he looked like a little ninja turtle with this wrapping around his head. 
Before they did the stitching, they put some numbing ointment on Jonah's forehead and covered it with this tape to make it absorb. 
All done! 
As if the popsicle weren't enough, I took him to get an orange sherbet at Braum's too. Poor boy had been through a lot! 
About a week later, Daddy took Jonah back to get the stitch removed. I was anxious about how he would do with that, but Daddy said he did great! I love this little boy more than words could EVER say!

No comments:

Post a Comment