After dropping the bomb on our kids about switching schools next year, Brian decided to tell them they could each get a fish...I was glaring across the table at this announcement...and having flashbacks of the "let's get a puppy!" decision when we moved from Tulsa. Didn't we learn anything from that?! So here was our (first) trip to PetSmart, where $80 later, we had our new fish friends...Blue, Violet & Legolas. My Instagram post said "@briantbaldwin82 this was 100% your idea...I will not be blamed when they die and our kids cry."
Well...what do you know...24 hours later...we had a dead fish and a crying kid...ugh!! My Instagram post for this was "Let's get the kids fish, he said...it will be great, he said... #legolasbarelymadeit24hours #forthelove #ripfishfriend #backtopetsmartwego @briantbaldwin #itoldyouso"
It really was sad, but Mackenzie's dramatics about it also made it comical. Her RIP sign with Legolas crossed out was so funny. Hey, at least she has a list of back up names for the fish that are to come in the future! So, back to PetSmart we went to buy Fish #2...who got the name Sam Wise. (Lord of the Rings fan in the house, obviously!)
Welllll....I'd like to say the story ends there, but NO...
Sam Wise made it longer than Legolas, but not by much. And his demise was much more traumatic than Legolas'. We told Mackenzie to go clean out her fish bowl...and, well...she forgot to plug the drain in the bathroom sink. Duh-Duh-Duhhhhhh..... I heard her gasp and I instantly KNEW... I took off running and found her sobbing upstairs. I felt SO, SO bad for not helping her in the first place. She had seen us clean the bowl a couple of times, but not enough to be able to do it on her own.
My Instagram post this time said, "Meet Gimli...Fish #3. To see what happened to Sam (#2) scroll to the second picture (sink bowl)...#oops #areyoufreakingkiddingme #dontbefooledbyhersmile #sheforgottoplugthedrainwhencleaningthebowlanddownhewent #alittletraumatizing #justkeepswimmingsam #godpleaseletthisonelivealongtime #ihaveneverprayedforafishbefore #firsttimeforeverything #fishfail"
After consoling her & calming her down, Brian took her back to PetSmart for Fish #3. We feel certain that we are going to have better luck this time! I mean, really...what was meant to cheer our kids up kind of turned into a dramatic nightmare for Mackenzie.
Jonah and Madison's fish are still swimming strong! THANK GOD!! I can't take any more of this fish drama!
Pics from the first PetSmart trip! Of course Jonah picked the bluest fish he could find, and very appropriately named him "Blue!"
And in true Madi fashion, she picked this sweet little fish and named her Violet!
Oh, Legolas....you were very loved during your short stay at our house!
It's good to laugh, right?
Fish #2: Sam Wise
OOPS... =0((( This was a sad lesson to learn.
Fish #3: Gimli
Hoping Gimli has a much longer life than Legolas and SamWise!


No comments:
Post a Comment